6.07.2012

I'm {pretty} needy

Here's the thing. I've had a bad week. Don't worry, it's nothing too terrible. It's been more of my state of mind. I'm not going to go too into it right now. I need more time to think things through myself before I plaster my uncensored thoughts on my blog for the world to read.

I did want to share with you, however, some things that are making me feel better right now. Some of these things are old, some of them are new. All of them are just what I needed.

Third Eye Blind. Don't judge me for this one. I once read that the bands and songs you listened to as adolescents stay with you through adulthood. It's been scientifically proven that our brains latch onto what shaped our lives at 14 and 15 years old and stay with us long into our adult lives.

If you're a 3EB fan, like me, you'll know that it takes years for them to release a new album. Because they're freaking perfectionists. They rework lyrics until there's nothing left to write. Each word is as well thought out as the plot of a novel. And the thing is, their lyrics don't even make any sense!

Until the day that they do.

Until the day that you blast your favorite Third Eye Blind songs in the car on your 40 minute drive to work because it's the only thing keeping you from completely breaking down. Suddenly there's a moment of clarity where, not only do the lyrics make perfect sense, but they're more relevant to your life that you could have ever imagined. And you remember that these same lyrics were there for you 12 years ago, and will be there for you forever.

Speaking of music, there's a line in Almost Famous that goes like this, "I always tell the girls, never take it seriously. If you never take it seriously, you never get hurt; you never get hurt, you always have fun; and if you ever get lonely, just go to the record store and visit your friends."

There are lines in Almost Famous that will always speak to me. To my soul. And as clich√© as it sounds, I think that's what that movie is all about. The things that you grew up with and idolized making you who you are. You don't just forget things like that.

I think it was a year or two ago now that I made my two best friends sit down and watch Almost Famous. We watched it and we cried. And when it was over, we talked. We sat on my friend's living room floor and told each other everything we've never told each other before. Our fears, our secrets, how much we love each other {I'm not going to lie, there was wine involved}. The point is, we told each other everything best friends think goes without saying. And we cried some more. When I need a good cry, when I need to think things through, Almost Famous is always there for me, helping me do just that.

If you're still with me {I guess I'm really just writing this for myself at this point} there's one more thing that has helped tremendously in making this week bearable. Just as you can always go the record store {do they have those anymore?} and find your friends, the same has always been true for me when it comes to the library. My friends reside in the pages of books. One such friend is Charlie.

The Perks of Being A Wallflower movie trailer was released this week. And of course it includes the "infinite" line. That quote itself is infinite. When I'm feeling down I go back and read that passage in Perks. It's the page that's permanently dog-eared. I obviously know the emotional power that a good movie can bring. I couldn't be more excited for this one.

I lied, there's one more thing that's helped to relieve some of my stress this week... writing this blog post. With all the good in my life, is there really a reason to dwell on the bad? If you've read this entire post, or even if you haven't {what did you do, just skip to the last paragraph?}, I thank you for being here.

{images via : 1, 2, & 3}

1 comment:

Hello pretty people! Your comments mean so much to me. I read every single one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...